This week has 2 deadlines: The subsystem 1 (aka the hatch collector) must be designed and the ball collector prototype must be finalized.
This week systems integration ran into a lot of problems. We discovered that we had to add a spacer to the bumper studs so that the perimeter extender wouldn't intersect the rules and we realized that one of the vertical measurements wasn't included on one of our drawings and mechanical had to redo a lot of work.
We also had to redo the bumper studs and mill out the back in order to allow for the attachment of the bumpers
The rivets blocked the nut from being tightened on the stud.
Outside of that we worked on the hatch mechanism and the ball mechanism in cad ,and we figured out how everything is fitting together.
We did finish building the chassis
We are also focusing on a new possible hatch prototype:
The issue with the hatch "duck-bill" we originally chose is that it is too long. It requires a piston in order to push it in and out along with long system pushing it outside the perimeter of the robot and back in.
Therefore, we are working on a new prototype that we hope will take up much less room
We based this prototype off of the Grasshopper's robort (team 95).
We also have been prototyping a ball shooter, which has actually been very consistent
It can take in the ball from any angle, and is able to adapt
It is important to prevent the ball from being compressed. In order to do this, we need to make sure the hex shaft is at the correct length, the wheels are 5 7/8 inches apart on the inside, and that you add bars to push the ball forward and keep it on the wheels.
It is both taken in and pushed out through the same mechanism.
The lexan is also at an angle in order to push the ball towards the balls. We added extra reinforcement on the lexan to heighten it, make it more sturdy, and allow for the ball to stay right on the wheels.
Although there was original concern with the ball falling out, as long as the motor is on the second shaft, it will stay in.